Cumbria's jobless total falls again
Published at 16:43, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Unemployment in Cumbria has fallen again. Figures from the Office for National Statistics show there were 8,675 people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance last month, 35 fewer than in September.
The county’s unemployment rate was unchanged at 2.8 per cent.
It was the third consecutive monthly fall and the seventh fall in eight months. Seasonal factors are partly responsible, such as the creation of temporary jobs in retailing and food processing in the run up to Christmas.
But crucially, the county's total is now lower than it was this time last year.
Within Cumbria, Carlisle saw the steepest fall. Its jobless total tumbled by 51 to 2,089, giving a rate of 3.1 per cent.
In Eden, the total fell by 18 to 403 (1.3 per cent). However, Allerdale’s claimant count climbed by 17 to 1,998 (3.4 per cent) and Copeland’s by three to 1,576 (3.5 per cent).
Nationally, the seasonally-adjusted claimant count increased by 10,100 to 1.58m but the rolling total, which includes people not eligible for Jobseeker’s Allowance, fell by 49,000 to 2.51m.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together