Cumbria police seize drugs valued at more than £1m
Last updated at 11:29, Monday, 02 April 2012
Police have seized cannabis with a street value of more than £1 million following a string of raids in Cumbria.
Detectives today said they had dismantled five cannabis farms as part of a major operation over the past two months.
Officers executed 36 search warrants in places including Workington, Seaton, Maryport, Whitehaven, Cleator Moor, Wigton, Silloth and Millom.
They have arrested 29 people for a string of alleged offences, including possession of drugs, cultivation of cannabis, intent to supply and burglary.
Officers have charged five of them and cautioned a further six. The rest are on bail while investigations into their cases continue.
From the cannabis farms, police recovered plants and harvested cannabis with a street value estimated at £800,000.
Cannabis resin – totalling 38 kilos in weight and with a street value of £220,000 – was also seized.
Details of the operation – codenamed Kibosh – were released this morning.
It was led by Detective Chief Inspector Keith Capstick, who said it provided focus in tackling organised crime in west Cumbria.
He added: “This operation has dented a significant hole into the organised crime in west Cumbria and from the seizures that have been made, a high percentage of drugs have been removed from our streets.
“There is an ever increasing determination by police to combat the problems criminality and organised crime bring to our communities.”
First published at 10:34, Monday, 02 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together