Closure threat to Royal Mail sorting office in Maryport
Last updated at 14:27, Friday, 08 February 2013
Discussions will be held with staff and unions over plans to close the Royal Mail sorting office in Maryport.
A decision will be made following a review undertaken by the Royal Mail as part of its modernisation programme.
If the closure goes ahead 23 workers will be transferred from the Solway Industrial Trading Estate depot to an expanded unit at Workington’s Derwent Howe.
Royal Mail spokeswoman Felicity MacFarlane pointed to declining letter numbers and increasing parcel volumes.
She said: “We are undertaking one of the biggest modernisation programmes in UK industry. ”
Staff, unions and the Royal Mail have entered a 12-week review, said Dean Ferguson of the Communications Workers Union.
He added: “We need to know more. However we have been told that all jobs are safe.”
Maryport mayor Peter Kendall said he was shocked by Royal Mail’s proposal.
He said: “The delivery office is well used, not only by people picking up undelivered parcels but by many local businesses who wanted their mail early in the day.”
First published at 14:26, Friday, 08 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
- Barrow skills event aims to inspire better career choices
- Cumbrian recruitment firm on national award shortlist
- Time running out for Cumbrian firms to get a business boost
- Defence boom will create thousands of BAE Systems jobs in Barrow
- Benefits of BAE Systems Barrow shipyard expansion spread far and wide
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (25 comments)
- Two teachers suspended from Barrow school (19 comments)
- Former school buildings in Barrow to go up for auction (18 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (13 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|