Closure threat to Royal Mail sorting office in Maryport
Last updated at 14:27, Friday, 08 February 2013
Discussions will be held with staff and unions over plans to close the Royal Mail sorting office in Maryport.
A decision will be made following a review undertaken by the Royal Mail as part of its modernisation programme.
If the closure goes ahead 23 workers will be transferred from the Solway Industrial Trading Estate depot to an expanded unit at Workington’s Derwent Howe.
Royal Mail spokeswoman Felicity MacFarlane pointed to declining letter numbers and increasing parcel volumes.
She said: “We are undertaking one of the biggest modernisation programmes in UK industry. ”
Staff, unions and the Royal Mail have entered a 12-week review, said Dean Ferguson of the Communications Workers Union.
He added: “We need to know more. However we have been told that all jobs are safe.”
Maryport mayor Peter Kendall said he was shocked by Royal Mail’s proposal.
He said: “The delivery office is well used, not only by people picking up undelivered parcels but by many local businesses who wanted their mail early in the day.”
First published at 14:26, Friday, 08 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- UPDATE: Man named as Windermere murder investigation continues
- Police investigating fail to stop road traffic collision in Barrow
- Police investigate Ulverston equestrian centre burglary
- Barrow teen hid bat in his shorts while on plant food
- Barrow council to recover costs of beached car removal
- Sacrifices may be needed to save Cumbria maternity services
- Cumbria bus strike threat looms if talks over working hours fail
- Last respects paid to Millom poppymaker Mary
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- Barrow woman attacked husband after cider-drinking binge
- Barrow karate kid is magic on the mat: WITH PICTURE GALLERY
- Junior girls football league seeking to build on strong campaign
- Barrow ASC earn Diddy League title
- Cents bid to end their final hoodoo
- Furness ace Natasha scores hole-in-one
- Dalton chef Dave serves up a golfing treat
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow football fan banned after shouting abuse (1 comment)
- Cumbria rail provider: Hamster, false teeth and Barry Manilow CD among lost items (1 comment)
- Barrovian's World Cup brace helps England smash Japan
- 'Unacceptable' 100-mile round journeys for Barrow disability assessments (1 comment)
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|