Children channel energy into windfarm challenge
Last updated at 11:49, Monday, 15 October 2012
A WIND energy company organised a day to challenge children to think about how people and nature can work together.
On Wednesday Vattenfall asked local school children to think like an engineer to answer the question.
Project organiser Brian Wood said: “The Vattenfall Windfarm Challenge day has been set up in Barrow to develop the STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) skills of young people in the area with a view to them choosing a career in engineering here.”
The day, held at The Forum, in Duke Street, introduced the children to a world of work by setting them three challenges that they had to work out in groups.
Mr Wood said: “Every group has got five people and every person comes from a different school.”
The children were from Furness Academy, Dowdales School, St Bernard’s, Walney School and Ulverston Victoria High School.
Mr Wood explained that 10 pupils came from every school, five boys and five girls from each.
Ann Parratt, communications officer for Vattenfall, said: “It’s great they’ve all been specially picked as they are all interested in engineering.”
Mr Woods said: “Hopefully at the end of the day they will have learnt something.”
First published at 16:30, Monday, 08 October 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|