Carlisle's Chapmans shop closed amid building sale rumour
Last updated at 14:33, Friday, 01 June 2012
A proud chapter in Carlisle’s retail history has closed as staff at the landmark furniture store Chapmans shut up shop.
The store on Victoria Viaduct had been selling furniture in the city for 165 years but its doors have now been locked and the ground-floor windows covered with white paper.
Amid rumours of a possible sale to another furniture business, staff were continuing to work inside the building yesterday.
A worker who was asked about the sale claim refused to confirm or deny it, but simply commented: “I’m sorry – we’re sworn to secrecy.”
The store’s closure – after the owners opted not to renew their lease on the shop – comes months earlier than expected.
It was initially announced that shutdown, with 20 job losses, would happen in September with management saying they hoped to carry out an “orderly closure” of the store.
Managing director John Chapman was the fifth generation of his family to run the business.
He said the decision to close had been sad, but continuing to trade would not have made business sense.
As the closing down sale got underway in April, manager Jim Booth, 54, said: “People were coming to collect pieces of Chapmans history. It was tinged with sadness, but we’ve got such a wonderful loyal customer base.”
A notice on the store’s main doorway thanked customers for that loyalty.
First published at 14:11, Friday, 01 June 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together