Buyout hope for Clinton Cards staff in Cumbria
Last updated at 10:59, Saturday, 12 May 2012
Dozens of threatened workers at Cumbrian branches of Clinton Cards were given fresh hope after rumours of a possible buyout emerged.
WH Smith and Card Factory were both yesterday reported to be interested in snapping up the stricken chain.
Clinton Cards, which has two branches in Workington and shops in Carlisle, Penrith and Whitehaven, hit financial trouble on Wednesday after its biggest supplier forced it into administration.
But it emerged yesterday that WH Smith is interested in buying up to 350 stores, out of the company’s total estate of 628 Clintons and 139 Birthdays shops.
Card Factory, Clinton’s biggest competitor with 596 stores, is also thought to have approached administrator Zolfo Cooper.
WH Smithdeclined to comment.
It is also thought that Clintons’ founders, the Lewin family, are interested in buying the chain.
The firm’s collapse follows pre-tax losses of £3.7m in the 26 weeks to January 29.
First published at 08:58, Saturday, 12 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|