Brains behind bakery named Cumbria’s top businesswomen
Last updated at 09:30, Friday, 16 November 2012
Two women behind the development of one of the county’s most iconic food businesses have been named Cumbria Business Women of the Year.
Jackie Kirkpatrick and Carol Thornton, of Appleby Bakery, received their award at a prestigious conference and lunch event at the Low Wood Bay Hotel, Windermere, yesterday.
They are used to plaudits. Appleby Bakery’s Christmas pud, brandy mincemeat, rum butter and Borrowdale tea bread all won gold in the Great Taste Awards last year.
The pair run shops in Appleby and Kirkby Stephen. They also supply customers online and through other retailers such as Cranstons, Rheged, Booths and Fenwick’s department store in Newcastle.
All produce is handmade to old-fashioned recipes at a purpose-built bakery in Appleby.
Cumbria Business Woman of the Year is run by Cumbria Chamber of Commerce and Baines Wilson LLP.
Jane McLeod, of Cirrus Beauty Rooms in Carlisle, won Innovative Businesswoman of the Year while Paula Scott, of PS Business Matters in Kendal, won Start-Up Businesswoman of the Year.
First published at 09:24, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|