Boost for Askam events
Last updated at 12:20, Monday, 26 November 2012
AN evening of Indian and Bangladeshi cuisine raised more than £500 to help boost two popular village family events.
More than 60 diners attended the Taste of India in Askam for the fundraiser in aid of Askam Community Events committee, which organises the village carnival and Christmas lights switch-on.
They enjoyed a three-course meal from a special set menu at the Duke Street eatery on Sunday evening. The occasion raised £510 for the committee.
The restaurant, which opened inside the former Vulcan pub this summer, has already hosted events which raised £1,150 for Duddon Inshore Rescue and almost £900 for Askam Kids Zone.
Restaurant boss Mustaq Ahmed said: “We want to be part of the community because, at the end of the day, we’re not going anywhere.
“We’ve really been accepted by the locals. The Askam people have been really good to us and welcomed us into the community and we’re hoping to give something back.
“Obviously, we need all the help we can get, but at the same time, we’ll support them all the way.”
First published at 16:56, Friday, 23 November 2012
Published by http://www.askamlocal.co.uk
Send us your photos
1. Via Twitter Use hashtag #NWEMsocialpics
2. Via Facebook Message us or tag us in the photo. Our Facebook page is at facebook.com/northwesteveningmail
3. From your mobile phone. Simply type EM VIEWS and send to 88833. Only standard network charges apply.
4. Use the form below. It's really easy . . . .
a) Fill in the Name box so that we can credit you with a by-line in paper and/or online
b) Add your Email address so that we can get back to you, either for more details or just to say thank-you
c) Put some basic details into the Message box ie what it is a picture of, when it was taken etc
d) Press the Browse button to locate the image on your computer
e) Press the Send Email button
You can only attach one image at a time but you will get an option after sending to repeat the process.
Before sending, please reduce your image file size to 500k or less. That will ensure it leaves you quicker and we receive all images.
Email larger files directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
The form . . .
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|