Last updated at 14:37, Friday, 19 October 2012
CORPORATION double-decker buses became a fixture of post-war Barrow and the bus depot featured in an advertising slogan for a media campaign for Chewits sweets, so it’s not surprising that former employees had plenty to talk about at Thursday night’s reunion.
Clippies, drivers and depot staff of Barrow Borough Transport and Barrow Corporation Transport relived the old days by hopping on board a classic double-decker for a journey around Barrow and Walney before stopping at Barrow Engineers’ Club for a party.
“All the older ones were fighting to get on the top deck,” said organiser Diana Burns, whose parents Geoff and Elizabeth Hoyland were a driver and clippie respectively.
The oldest former employee was 92 and a number of ex-colleagues got up and spoke about their memories during the reunion.
There was also a slideshow featuring personal photos the attendees had submitted.
“A lot brought in old photos and memorabilia, including an old clippie machine, and 11 pence and 33 pence tickets,” said Diana.
“There were a lot of tears, but happy tears of seeing each other again.”
The reunion raised £367.20 for St Mary’s Hospice in Ulverston.
First published at 14:13, Friday, 19 October 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Send us your photos
1. Via Twitter Use hashtag #NWEMsocialpics
2. Via Facebook Message us or tag us in the photo. Our Facebook page is at facebook.com/northwesteveningmail
3. From your mobile phone. Simply type EM VIEWS and send to 88833. Only standard network charges apply.
4. Use the form below. It's really easy . . . .
a) Fill in the Name box so that we can credit you with a by-line in paper and/or online
b) Add your Email address so that we can get back to you, either for more details or just to say thank-you
c) Put some basic details into the Message box ie what it is a picture of, when it was taken etc
d) Press the Browse button to locate the image on your computer
e) Press the Send Email button
You can only attach one image at a time but you will get an option after sending to repeat the process.
Before sending, please reduce your image file size to 500k or less. That will ensure it leaves you quicker and we receive all images.
Email larger files directly to email@example.com
The form . . .
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Mum of boy who suffered allergic reaction praises Barrow play area staff
- Two teachers suspended from Barrow school (11 comments)
- UPDATE: Youths attack 15-year-old boy in Barrow carpark
- Petition demands tougher jail term for ‘scum’ Barrow puppy beater
- Last-minute agony for Barrow Raiders (5 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|