Telford missing their ace marksman Jones
Published at 16:07, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
AFC TELFORD go into tonight’s Blue Square Bet Premier clash at the New Bucks Head without ace marksman Steve Jones (7.45pm kick-off).
Jones sits out the game against Barrow AFC, as he serves the last of a three-match ban.
Telford manager Andy Sinton says he cannot wait to get his in-form player back in his attack, with Jones having netted seven league goals, including five in five games, before receiving a straight red against Tamworth.
During his absence, Telford lost 2-0 at home to Kidderminster in the league but then enjoyed a 1-0 FA Trophy success over Nuneaton.
“Steve has done well for us this season. He’s difficult to play against and any team would welcome him back,” former Tottenham and England winger Sinton told the Shropshire Star.
“But it is up to others to step up to the mark too. We won’t have Steve available until we go to Hyde.”
Jones was at the centre of controversy in last season’s game between the two sides in Shropshire over his headed winner in a 1-0 victory for the home side.
AFC keeper Danny Hurst insisted the goal should not have been allowed as the ball did not cross the line, and an Evening Mail photograph appeared to provide proof. The 76th-minute Jones header hit the inside of the post and bounced along the goal-line.
Hurst, who had been beaten by the initial header, leapt to his feet and clawed the ball away without, he claims, it crossing the line.
“It was ridiculous, not even one bit of the ball crossed the line,” said the AFC keeper.
“It was a decent header from the lad. It then hit the post and literally rolled across the goal-line.
“I had dived for the initial header but got back to my feet quickly and saw another Telford player (Craig Farrell) about to follow it up. I got back before him and scooped it off the line.”
Richard Davies is expected to replace Nathan Rooney in midfield against the Bluebirds tonight, while Michael Wylde, on loan from Cambridge United, is likely to be on the bench. The clubs fought out a 0-0 draw on the opening day of the campaign at Holker Street.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow - increase in train services announced
- Barrow footballer who suffered stroke tells of goal to get back on pitch
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- Case of Barrow man charged with attempted murder adjourned
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|