Obi off the mark but AFC lose
Last updated at 09:12, Tuesday, 17 July 2012
NEW signing Obi Anoruo opened his Barrow AFC goalscoring account in their 2-1 pre-season friendly defeat at Airbus UK Broughton.
The 20-year-old former Wrexham frontman – making his second appearance for the Bluebirds since joining on a one-year contract last week – netted with 20 minutes to go at The Airfield on Saturday.
The Welsh Premier League hosts, however, were already two goals to the good at the time and held on to inflict a first defeat of the summer on Barrow, who had previously beaten Furness Select 2-0 and Workington 3-0 in home friendlies.
Bluebirds manager Dave Bayliss used 23 players during the game and ran the rule over 14 triallists, the only ones named on the team-sheet being former Burnley midfielder Alex-Ray Harvey and Holker Old Boys winger Dave Swarbrick.
The match had been scheduled to take place on Friday night, but because of a waterlogged pitch it was delayed until Saturday afternoon.
The Wingmakers took the lead on 12 minutes when Tom Field curled a free-kick past Barrow goalkeeper Danny Hurst and into the top corner.
Mark Cadwallader then doubled the home team’s advantage five minutes after half-time with a close-range finish that beat substitute stopper Shaun Pearson.
Anoruo pulled one back for Barrow, who were unable to find an equaliser and fell to a first defeat in three.
The Bluebirds are in pre-season action again tonight when they travel to Warrington Town, who play their football three tiers below the Blue Square Bet Premier side.
It will be a first friendly of the summer for the Evo-Stik League First Division North team (kick-off 7.45pm).
The Cantilever Park outfit are managed by Shaun Reid, the younger brother of former England international Peter and a friend of Bayliss’s.
* AFC will run three soccer schools this summer, all open to boys and girls aged between seven and 15.
The courses will be held on July 23- 27, August 13-17 and 28-31. The cost is £10 per day or £45 for the full week, with the final week being £40.
All three weeks can be booked at a total cost of £100. For more details see www.barrowafc.com.
* Holker Old Boys opened their pre-season campaign with a 7-0 home win over Kendal Town reserves on Saturday.
The Stags, who have four more friendlies planned, will begin the 2012/13 North West Counties Division One season on Saturday, August 4 with a visit from Abbey Hey.
Holker have been handed an away tie at Newton Aycliffe, County Durham, in the extra-preliminary round of the FA Cup, to be played on August 11.
Old Boys have, however, bagged a home draw in the first qualifying round of the FA Vase competition, with Hebburn Town (Newcastle) due to visit on Saturday, September 1.
* Barrovian Wayne Curtis played for former club Morecambe against Everton in a testimonial match for Shrimps manager Jim Bentley at the Globe on Saturday.
The Premier League side won 4-1. Curtis has been training with Morecambe while he looks for a new club ahead of the new season.
Meanwhile, it is rumoured that former Barrow loan striker Richard Brodie has joined Morecambe.
First published at 16:11, Monday, 16 July 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes (2 comments)
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month (2 comments)
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark (1 comment)
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|