Returning pair set to start for Barrow
Last updated at 14:35, Tuesday, 17 April 2012
STRIKER Andy Cook and skipper Phil Bolland look set to be thrown straight back into the Barrow AFC side.
The duo have missed the Bluebirds’ last two games – a 2-2 draw with Southport and a 3-1 defeat against Cambridge United – through suspension.
Barrow manager Dave Bayliss, whose struggling side have picked up just one point from the last 27 available, fumed at AFC’s performance in their home defeat to mid-table rivals Cambridge on Saturday.
Changes to the starting XI are now expected for the season’s penultimate game at already-relegated Kettering Town this weekend.
Bayliss, who was able to name only three substitutes – goalkeeper Jack Cudworth, the versatile Cliff Moyo and injured defender Kelvin Lomax – for the last game due to injuries and suspensions, said: “On that performance (against Cambridge), they (Cook and Bolland) will be straight back in.
“All we want is players to force our hand to stay in the side. But that did not happen.
“If I had more subs I would have used them against Cambridge.
“And if I had a bigger squad I would make eight or nine changes for next weekend, but I don’t.”
Cook – Barrow’s top scorer in Blue Square Bet Premier with 16 goals – was sent off for the third time (one of which was later rescinded) this season in the 2-0 defeat at Gateshead earlier this month.
Experienced centre-half Bolland totted up his 10th yellow card of the campaign in the same game.
Both have now served their respective two-game bans and are ready to try and help Barrow end a nine-game winless run and finish the season on a high.
Since the Bluebirds beat Kettering 3-0 at Furness Building Society Stadium on February 18 – when Cook hit a double and Richie Baker a penalty – the Poppies have taken just four points from an available 36.
In their last outing on Saturday, Kettering were thrashed 6-1 at play-off hopefuls Kidderminster Harriers, conceding five of the goals in the second half.
Kettering caretaker boss Ashley Westwood is, however, confident his charges will give a better account of themselves against Barrow at Nene Park.
“There will certainly be a reaction to this,” said Westwood.
“That won’t happen to us in the next game at home. I’m sure we will make a better game of it than we did at Kidderminster, who are up there challenging.”
First published at 13:09, Tuesday, 17 April 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- UPDATE: Van driver sustains minor head injury after A590 crash
- Cumbria great-grandfather wins £727k share of Lotto jackpot
- Sandwich and coffee chains serve up jobs boost for town
- Barrow students sign up to save a life and continue Ulverston girl’s legacy
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Firm hopes £5m Barrow Island flats revamp will attract new tenants
- Police investigate report of assault against boy at Barrow AFC ground
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (2 comments)
- Hawcoat Park come close to causing upset
- Late flourish ends Furness hopes of flattening Fleetwood
- Cooksey does Brook Street proud
- Pete on the Beat: Home Nations have hard work to come
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure (1 comment)
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (7 comments)
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|