King: £100,000 is the prize at stake
Published at 16:12, Tuesday, 11 December 2012
MACCLESFIELD boss Steve King welcomes back midfielder John Paul Kissock tonight for a cup tie he believes is worth £100,000.
Kissock, a former Barrow triallist, missed the Silkmen’s 1-1 draw at Forest Green Rovers on Saturday through suspension, but – along with ex-Bluebirds favourite Jack Mackreth, who was an unused substitute at the New Lawn – is pushing for a start.
King, who has one of the best squads in Blue Square Bet Premier at his disposal, was as frustrated as Barrow counterpart Dave Bayliss when the second round tie at Holker Street was postponed 10 days ago because of what referee Eddie Ilderton deemed a partly-frozen pitch.
Since then the draw for the third round has been made, with tonight’s winners (a replay, should it be required, would be played on December 18) guaranteed a home game against Championship pole-sitters Cardiff City.
King told The Non-League Paper: “To play Cardiff at home would be a massive one.
“It’ll be a tough game against Barrow, though. I’ve watched them four times this season and they don’t give you a minute’s rest. We might have beaten them 2-0 at home earlier in the season, but that won’t have any bearing on the cup tie because of the prize that is at stake.
“The potential windfall for either club to win is around £100,000, with the £27,000 second round prize money, a share of what we hope will be a big gate at Barrow and the guaranteed revenue from playing a Championship club at home in the third round.”
Ninth-placed Macclesfield, relegated from the Football League last season, ended a run of four defeats with a 3-2 home win over Hyde last Tuesday. The draw at high-flying Forest Green will have provided a further confidence boost.
The Silkmen, who shocked Paolo Di Canio’s Swindon Town 2-0 in the FA Cup first round, have a third player with Barrow connections in the shape of winger Peter Till, who had a loan spell at Holker Street in 2009.
Top-scorer Matthew Barnes-Homer, who netted both goals when Macclesfield beat Barrow in August, is likely to start up front with Chris Holroyd. Left-back Craig Braham-Barrett is an injury doubt.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
Visit our websites for...
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (43 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (36 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers (7 comments)
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (7 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|