Ken gives 100 per cent to the Bluebirds
Last updated at 16:16, Tuesday, 11 December 2012
BARROW AFC super-fan Ken Harper was presented with a commemorative football shirt to mark his 100th birthday.
Ken, who lives in Kirkby-in-Furness, first watched the Bluebirds when he was 16 years old and has witnessed many ups and downs at Holker Street in the eight-and-a-half decades that have followed.
Club chairman Brian Keen surprised Ken with the framed shirt, which was signed by all the current players and management team, at half-time during Friday night’s televised 2-0 home loss against Hereford United. He was greeted by applause from supporters on the terraces.
Keen and fellow club director Keith Allen also attended Ken’s landmark birthday party in Broughton on Sunday.
A former engineer inspector in the shipyard, Ken remains a regular at Barrow home games and sits in the main stand with his neighbour Ray Brockbank. He still drives himself to many of the Saturday matches at Holker Street.
First published at 16:12, Tuesday, 11 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|