Gate slammed shut on Bluebirds
Last updated at 19:35, Friday, 28 December 2012
CHRISTMAS cheer was long forgotten and replaced by jeers on the Holker Street terraces as bottom-of-the-table Barrow AFC fell to a 2-0 home defeat against Gateshead.
The Bluebirds started Boxing Day four points from safety in Blue Square Bet Premier and with optimism in the air. They finished it with that gap having increased to five and boos ringing in their ears.
Bluebirds manager Dave Bayliss and assistant Ashley Hoskin left Holker Street without giving an interview to the media, and pressure is mounting on the pair to turn around a run of eight league games without a win.
In a bid to do so Bayliss plans to spend cash on new players in January. In his matchday programme notes for yesterday’s game, the AFC boss said: “We have been in this unfortunate position before and we have always pulled away from danger. We will do it again.
“Come the January transfer window we will be in action. Well to tell you the truth I have already been in action, talking to players and clubs and I’ve had some positive responses.
“We have tried to operate with youth and enthusiasm, and in some games we have looked good. But the chairman and directors accept that we need an injection of experience and that will be done. They have given me 100 per cent backing to bring in three or four quality players and they will provide the lift we need.
“It will make a change having money to spend – but believe me, it will be spent.”
Gateshead took the lead just before half-time through a Josh Gillies strike. The winger scored his second goal five minutes from the end.
First published at 16:28, Thursday, 27 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes (2 comments)
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month (2 comments)
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark (1 comment)
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|