Bayliss targets four signings for Barrow AFC
Last updated at 17:19, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
BARROW AFC boss Dave Bayliss hopes to have four new players signed on at Holker Street by the end of the week.
The Bluebirds chief has picked out his January transfer window targets and is now waiting for chairman Brian Keen to give the final nod and for the paperwork to be completed.
Bayliss has lined up two centre-halves, a right-back and a centre forward to bolster the ranks at the bottom-of-the-table Conference side as he attempts to save them from relegation.
The only name released so far was that of Stockport defender Danny O’Donnell, who had been due to join AFC two weeks ago before the club found themselves under a now-lifted transfer embargo due to an unpaid National Insurance bill. However, the 26-year-old has now decided to stay with County.
Bayliss said he would have been far from the only new blood injected into the team, with the acknowledgement his current squad simply was not good enough.
“I’ve said we’re looking at two centre-halves, a right-back and a centre forward,” the Bluebirds chief said.
“They are key areas for me – it’s the spine of your side.
“(Adam) Boyes needs a little bit of help, which is understandable, and those are the key areas we are looking at.
“It’s not as if we haven’t been good to the players we have got – we’ve given them plenty of chances – and if they were in my position, they would understand.
“I’ve spoken to one or two of them and I’ve given them the option that if they want to go, they can go – we can’t be clearer or more honest than that.
“I’m sure if they were in my position, they would do the same.
“For 25 games we haven’t been good enough and that has to change.”
Bayliss, whose squad has been forced to train indoors this week due to heavy snow at their usual Rochdale training base, believes it is key to add a greater physical presence to the Barrow side.
Many of the players brought in during the summer and since the start of the season have been young and inexperienced – the likes of loan defender Tom Anderson and forward Louis Almond – with Barrow now looking for more experienced heads.
“We’re probably looking at maybe four coming in by the weekend, but it’s all down to the backing of the chairman and hopefully he will give us the green light to do that,” Bayliss added.
“The lads we’re bringing in are of a good quality.
“To be totally honest and blunt, they can’t do any worse. We need a few men now to come in and strengthen us, because we are being bullied in key areas and we need to address that straightaway.
“You see every team in our league and they are full of big men and we are full of kids and weak men – we need a few very strong men at this moment in time to get us out of the predicament we are in.
“We’re working very hard to get things done. It will probably be two or three days with getting the paperwork sorted out.”
First published at 16:09, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
We haven't been good enough for a long time now. We've gone backwards after last season, at the end of the day Dave Bayliss has brought these players in and it was obvious after a dozen matches that we were going to struggle.
We' ve lacked height in our team for years now but had good technical and passionate players, now we don't really have that.
We need 2 or 3 solid no nonsense defenders, a general who can command midfield and a good striker. Anything less just won't be enough.
Its time like these when you see what everyone's made off.
A small peice of me is wondering if Barrow AFC would like us to be relegated for financial reasons? Lets hope thats not the case.
its ok saying the players we have are to young not good enough and not strong enough but who brought those players in first place ?