Bayliss aims for 19-man squad as four more set to pen deals
Last updated at 16:45, Friday, 08 June 2012
BARROW AFC manager Dave Bayliss says he will have a similar budget to last season as he looks to build a squad of 18 or 19 players for the 2012/13 Blue Square Bet Premier campaign.
With nine players having signed or agreed deals – including goalkeeper Danny Hurst and defender Gavin Skelton, who both penned fresh one-year contracts on Wednesday night – the Bluebirds boss is therefore seeking nine or ten more new recruits.
Midfielder James Owen and the Pearson brothers, defender Mike and goalkeeper Shaun, all signed new deals today (Friday), while winger Paul Rutherford and midfielder Richie Baker are expected to follow suit when he returns from their holiday. Striker Adam Boyes and defender Matt Flynn are the other two already on board for next season.
Bayliss, who will have coach Ashley Hoskin by his side, said: “We will be looking at probably having 16 contracted players next season.
“We want a settled squad, with lads who can play in cup competitions too.
“If we can do that and then hopefully get a couple of lads on loan, possibly from Burnley, that will boost us up to 18 or 19.
“The aim is to get a bit more quality in the squad from the start.
“Burnley were really good to us last season allowing us to loan players like Joe Jackson, so hopefully we can build on that relationship.
“Burnley have some excellent young players we might be able to take, not just Joe. Hopefully we can tap into them again to get a couple, and maybe off Carlisle United as well.
“We are looking at a similar wage bill, not much difference to last year. You get used to working on a budget and you know you can’t offer more than you have got.”
As well as recruiting new players, Bayliss is also looking at who will be in his backroom staff next season.
He said: “Our brilliant physio Sean (Riley) wants to stay and Ash is coming back, so we will be stronger on that front next season.
“Our new training facilities (near Rochdale) are a lot better and I’m really looking forward to it already.”
First published at 13:25, Friday, 08 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
all looking good why some fans knock Bayliss & Keen is beyond me
Make your comment
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (24 comments)
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (1 comment)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Glasson take the spoils at Ulverston
- Barrow AFC trophy presentation at Holker Street
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief (2 comments)
- Casson over the moon with Barrow AFC title success (14 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton