Bayliss aims for 19-man squad as four more set to pen deals
Last updated at 16:45, Friday, 08 June 2012
BARROW AFC manager Dave Bayliss says he will have a similar budget to last season as he looks to build a squad of 18 or 19 players for the 2012/13 Blue Square Bet Premier campaign.
With nine players having signed or agreed deals – including goalkeeper Danny Hurst and defender Gavin Skelton, who both penned fresh one-year contracts on Wednesday night – the Bluebirds boss is therefore seeking nine or ten more new recruits.
Midfielder James Owen and the Pearson brothers, defender Mike and goalkeeper Shaun, all signed new deals today (Friday), while winger Paul Rutherford and midfielder Richie Baker are expected to follow suit when he returns from their holiday. Striker Adam Boyes and defender Matt Flynn are the other two already on board for next season.
Bayliss, who will have coach Ashley Hoskin by his side, said: “We will be looking at probably having 16 contracted players next season.
“We want a settled squad, with lads who can play in cup competitions too.
“If we can do that and then hopefully get a couple of lads on loan, possibly from Burnley, that will boost us up to 18 or 19.
“The aim is to get a bit more quality in the squad from the start.
“Burnley were really good to us last season allowing us to loan players like Joe Jackson, so hopefully we can build on that relationship.
“Burnley have some excellent young players we might be able to take, not just Joe. Hopefully we can tap into them again to get a couple, and maybe off Carlisle United as well.
“We are looking at a similar wage bill, not much difference to last year. You get used to working on a budget and you know you can’t offer more than you have got.”
As well as recruiting new players, Bayliss is also looking at who will be in his backroom staff next season.
He said: “Our brilliant physio Sean (Riley) wants to stay and Ash is coming back, so we will be stronger on that front next season.
“Our new training facilities (near Rochdale) are a lot better and I’m really looking forward to it already.”
First published at 13:25, Friday, 08 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
all looking good why some fans knock Bayliss & Keen is beyond me
Make your comment
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Murder investigation launched in Windermere
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown