Bayliss aims for 19-man squad as four more set to pen deals
Last updated at 16:45, Friday, 08 June 2012
BARROW AFC manager Dave Bayliss says he will have a similar budget to last season as he looks to build a squad of 18 or 19 players for the 2012/13 Blue Square Bet Premier campaign.
With nine players having signed or agreed deals – including goalkeeper Danny Hurst and defender Gavin Skelton, who both penned fresh one-year contracts on Wednesday night – the Bluebirds boss is therefore seeking nine or ten more new recruits.
Midfielder James Owen and the Pearson brothers, defender Mike and goalkeeper Shaun, all signed new deals today (Friday), while winger Paul Rutherford and midfielder Richie Baker are expected to follow suit when he returns from their holiday. Striker Adam Boyes and defender Matt Flynn are the other two already on board for next season.
Bayliss, who will have coach Ashley Hoskin by his side, said: “We will be looking at probably having 16 contracted players next season.
“We want a settled squad, with lads who can play in cup competitions too.
“If we can do that and then hopefully get a couple of lads on loan, possibly from Burnley, that will boost us up to 18 or 19.
“The aim is to get a bit more quality in the squad from the start.
“Burnley were really good to us last season allowing us to loan players like Joe Jackson, so hopefully we can build on that relationship.
“Burnley have some excellent young players we might be able to take, not just Joe. Hopefully we can tap into them again to get a couple, and maybe off Carlisle United as well.
“We are looking at a similar wage bill, not much difference to last year. You get used to working on a budget and you know you can’t offer more than you have got.”
As well as recruiting new players, Bayliss is also looking at who will be in his backroom staff next season.
He said: “Our brilliant physio Sean (Riley) wants to stay and Ash is coming back, so we will be stronger on that front next season.
“Our new training facilities (near Rochdale) are a lot better and I’m really looking forward to it already.”
First published at 13:25, Friday, 08 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
all looking good why some fans knock Bayliss & Keen is beyond me
Make your comment
- Accused fans discover final verdict in pitch disorder case
- SLIDESHOW: Glittering anniversary party for Barrow arts venue
- Housing plan could have cost Cumbria councillor her seat
- UPDATE: Electricity North West "on hand" after Met Office strong wind warning for Cumbria
- Cumbria police mobile phone snoop shock
- Cumbria shootings - five years on
- Barrow firm hosts successful recruitment fair
- Spare cash on rise in West Cumbria
- Emergency services deal with A590 crash
- Road blocks due to fallen trees in Cumbria
- Barrow Raiders claw victory at Bears
- Barrow Raiders brush Bears aside
- Theo makes trip very worthwhile
- Wheelbase crew happy to hang in there with elite riders
- Second spot ‘like winning the lottery’ for Bjergfelt
- Clancy happy to see Tour come back to Barrow
- Chris lays down the Law
- Millom ace Hawdon hails 'brilliant' Barrow Tour Series
- North Walney better than South Walney - it's official: with picture gallery
- Magnificent seven for Dalton
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
- Party time as association marks 70 years at building
- Life at war in new exhibition
- Life lost in winning top gallantry medal
- Ways found to make food supply last out
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers