Barrow AFC transfer embargo still in place
Last updated at 16:27, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
BARROW AFC could remain under a transfer embargo until after tonight’s game at Luton Town, the Evening Mail understands.
Asked yesterday if the outstanding tax bill which had brought about the embargo had been settled, club chairman Brian Keen said: “We are just about there.”
Once the unpaid National Insurance bill is sorted, the embargo is expected to be lifted, meaning manager Dave Bayliss can once again sign players on transfers or loans from other clubs.
It is understood that players without clubs can be signed on non-contract deals during such an embargo.
It means Bayliss could have as few as 13 players to pick from for tonight’s Blue Square Bet Premier match at Luton.
Bottom-of-the-table Barrow had 15 available players on Saturday for the 2-0 defeat at Kidderminster, but since then both Tom Anderson and Joe Jackson have returned to parent club Burnley following the end of their loan stays at Holker Street.
Winger Danny Rowe’s contract has also expired, but he could remain at the club, albeit on non-contract terms.
Keen said the embargo had been imposed by the Football Conference.
The Evening Mail contacted the Football Conference yesterday but a spokesperson refused to divulge any details without permission from the club.
In a statement released on the club website yesterday, AFC said the situation (the unpaid tax bill and subsequent embargo) would “be resolved at the earliest opportunity this week”.
The statement read: “Having a player embargo placed on the club is not something that we wanted to happen, nor is it where we want to be.
“But given recent circumstances of cup postponements due to weather and the loss of a home league game to the cup replay, followed by no home game until late January, the club has a cash flow problem.
“The board can reassure fans that there is no long-term financial danger to the club.
“Obviously money is tight with lower than hoped for league gates of less than a thousand. You can rest assured that the situation will be resolved at the earliest opportunity this week.”
Matt Flynn could be recalled to the starting XI at Kenilworth Road tonight, with Mike Pearson moving from right-back to centre-half.
Barrow (from): Hurst, Flynn, Skelton, Hessey, M Pearson, Owen, Harvey, Hunter, Rutherford, McConville, Boyes, S Pearson, Rowe.
l THE investigation into the allegation an opposition player was racially abused by a Barrow AFC supporter is continuing, police and the Football Association have confirmed.
The allegation was made following the Bluebirds’ second round FA Cup tie with Macclesfield Town at Furness Building Society Stadium on December 18.
Macclesfield manager Steve King claimed a Barrow fan called his captain, Nat Brown, a “monkey” before the start of the second half.
Barrow police and the FA opened investigations into the allegation, but both authorities confirmed yesterday that their enquiries were ongoing.
A police spokesman said: “Enquiries are still ongoing and we would like anyone with any information to contact us at the earliest opportunity by calling 101.”
An FA spokesman said: “The investigation is ongoing.”
First published at 16:24, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|