Barrow AFC striker Boyes puts future on hold to help club beat drop
Published at 18:37, Sunday, 24 February 2013
HOT-SHOT Adam Boyes says he is putting Barrow AFC’s survival bid before securing his own future – and does not rule out remaining at Holker Street beyond this summer.
The 22-year-old striker (pictured, right) has once again emerged as one of Barrow’s top performers, and their leading marksman this season, having already notched an impressive 16 goals, to build on the 22 he netted last term.
Boyes’s outstanding goal return in the top tier of non-league football means he is sure to attract a flurry of interest from rival clubs when his current deal expires in the summer.
But the England C international will not let his head be turned while he continues to spearhead the Bluebirds’ survival fight – which resumed today at Lincoln City (3pm).
“My contract is up in the summer but I haven’t really thought about that yet, because I just want to get this season out of the way and help the club stay up,” said Boyes.
“The main thing for me is that I can hopefully keep playing well, help keep the club in the league and then see what happens from there.”
Middlesbrough-born Boyes was tipped for future stardom when he started out at York City, and at just 17-years-old, completed a two-week trial with Manchester United.
Boyes returned to York, but eventually got his big chance, in the admittedly less glamorous surroundings of then-Championship side Scunthorpe United, who paid an undisclosed six-figure fee to acquire his services in the summer of 2009.
However, Boyes failed to make the grade at Glanford Park in only managing just one first-team appearance for the Iron. The attacker subsequently joined Boston United and during a summer trial at his boyhood club Middlesbrough, the Bluebirds swooped with the offer of a one-year contract in 2011.
Boyes admits he is itching for a second crack at proving his worth on the Football League stage. But in also expressing his loyalty towards Barrow boss Dave Bayliss, who gave Boyes the opportunity to rebuild his career, the striker says he could yet commit his future to Barrow if they safeguard their Conference Premier status.
When asked about his ultimate long-term ambitions, Boyes explained: “I’d obviously like to play in the Football League and start playing week-in-week-out.
“If it doesn’t work, at least I can say I tried, so that’s the main aim. I’ve loved my two years at Barrow because all of the lads are spot-on and the fans are brilliant.
“I’m grateful that Bayles has given me a chance and hopefully I’ve repaid him well. I’ll always do my best for Bayles, he knows that, and so I’ll hopefully keep doing my best this season and help keep the club up.”
When asked if he could yet renew his Barrow deal in the summer, Boyes said: “There is a possibility of anything happening and as long as the club stay in the division then I don’t see why not.
“You hear a few rumours (about interest from potential suitors) but that’s about it. I don’t really look into rumours, I just wait for something to actually happen.”
Boyes has converted 31 per cent of Barrow’s 52 goals, in all competitions this season, while Bayliss’s men are the Blue Square Bet Premier’s second lowest scorers having found the net just 36 times in 31 games.
But the striker believes their most potent attacking weapons, also including loan striker Danny L Rowe, are peaking at just the right time.
“It feels similar to last year when we had Jack Mackreth and Andy Cook and we scored in a lot of games in a row,” said Boyes.
“We always looked like we were going to score and I think that feeling is back again, so hopefully we can keep scoring.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
- Drink-driver crashed car twice as he made way home from Barrow pub
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect (1 comment)
- Tributes paid to Barrow dad who had "a love for life" (1 comment)
- Barrow A&E was "a step away" from a major incident (1 comment)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|