Barrow AFC record £171k loss
Last updated at 10:23, Saturday, 19 January 2013
BARROW AFC director Tony Keen admitted the club ‘fell off a cliff’ financially in the post-Wembley season, as they recorded a loss of £171,672 in 2011.
Speaking at last night’s AGM, Keen said poor cup runs last season proved the difference after the highs of the 2010 FA Trophy final and visits to Sunderland and Middlesbrough in the FA Cup.
The club recorded a football income of £431,387 last year, compared to £781,486 in 2010 and £720,333 in 2009.
Addressing the 50 or so members gathered at the Cross Bar, Keen said: “It’s a £170,000 loss, it’s bad. You can’t spin it any way.”
Fielding questions as to the lateness of the club’s accounts and the transparency of the board with its members, Keen said: “From a board point of view, we’ve been in fire fighting mode for the past 18 months.
“There is no reason why they are so late. We’ve been looking at the next week’s biggest problem and dealing with it and letting some of the formal things go.
“The season after Wembley we fell off a cliff and created debt quicker than anything I’ve ever experienced in my business life.
“We’ve spent hours making phone calls with creditors, putting agreements in place, buying ourselves some time.”
Keen also revealed that he had stopped writing his weekly Evening Mail column as he felt that putting a positive spin on the club’s financial situation was the wrong thing to do, adding: “It’s difficult to be open and honest when it could finish what you’re doing.”
Both Tony and Brian Keen, club chairman, were reelected on to the board with a unanimous vote from members.
New directors John Mackay and Steve Patton were also formally elected on to the board, again by unanimous decision from the club’s members.
Despite the Bluebirds languishing at the bottom of the Blue Square Bet Premier, chairman Brian Keen told the meeting he remains optimistic that the club will remain in the league next year and that he and the board had full faith in manager Dave Bayliss to turn things around.
He said: “It’s been a very hard period in our club’s history.
“Not a lot has changed from the last AGM, we’ve learned how hard and how costly this league is.
“I assure you, every member of this board is doing the best they can for this club.
“I cannot knock the effort of Dave Bayliss. In my opinion that man gives us 110 per cent with what he’s trying to do for us. I’m sure he’ll pull us through and we’ll be staying in this league next year.”
First published at 17:41, Friday, 18 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
I reckon the debt has come from the huge fake tan bill that Phil Wilson run up a few years back and it's it's only surfaced now though! Seriously though, I am an intelligent bloke and the blame quite clearly lies with the keens, no body else! The club needs a sugar daddy, someone like des Johnson who wants the club to win things! Success brings crowds, put a successful team on the pitch and watch the crowds roll in, just like they do at the raiders. Cuffy
If certain board members didn't make comments about us being better off in the blue square bet north then maybe people would have come to games! If I wasn't a die hard supporter I would have big reservations about paying Â£14 a game to watch a team in a league that even the board think we would be better off out of!!
View all 4 comments on this article