Column 18 - Keeping the dream alive with Barrow AFC
Last updated at 17:33, Friday, 07 December 2012
WELL tomorrow’s FA Cup second round tie against Macclesfield has come around very quickly.
It doesn’t seem two minutes ago that Garry Hunter scored the last-minute screamer to send us through. Tomorrow’s game against my old team Macclesfield will be a really tough one, but I fancy our chances.
It’s been a tough week, with last Saturday’s game against Hyde taking a lot out of us.
The pitch wasn’t what we expected. It was very heavy and we had to work hard to try claw our way back into the game. We came out in the second half and were dominant. We changed formation and we pushed on for a goal. We had a few chances, hitting the woodwork and I had a chance to get a good cross in but was pushed at the last minute which made me lose my balance. I’ve had some stick from people thinking it was just a bad cross, but it wasn’t. I was just pushed in the back.
We knew we had to get a goal and luckily for us in injury time the ball got played up to me from Mike “Peo” (Pearson) and I brought it down on my chest, let it bounce and hit it sweetly and thankfully it went in.
I saw Richie Baker’s boots just before I was going to hit it and thought he was going to take it off me. But I thought, ‘he shot in the first half when I was free, so I’m having this one’ and that’s what I did!
It was nice to get another goal. It builds my confidence, which has been lacking in recent games.
We knew after the game that having them travel on Tuesday night under the floodlights where we are at our best they would have a real problem, and they did.
Straight from the off we looked good. We played some nice football and kept the ball when we needed to. They had a few chances but not too many. This time “Bakes” scored a nice header to see us through.
I was stood right behind ready to put it in and make it three out of three, but he took it off me this time. Richie has been playing really well recently, alongside the likes of Danny Hurst and little Alex-Ray Harvey.
The gaffer gave some of the lads who haven’t played for a few weeks a chance and I thought every one of them played real well. Gav (Gavin Skelton), Rudders (Paul Rutherford) and (Sean) McConville played superbly and the gaffer will have a headache over tomorrow’s selection.
My room-mate Tom Aldred’s loan deal has expired. He will be missed by the lads. He was a great character in the changing rooms making everyone relax. His two front teeth would make you laugh straight away!
Hopefully tomorrow there will be a big crowd. It will be great to get a win against my old club and watch the draw on Sunday hoping for a big team.
We can’t think ahead though and just need to stay focused on the game first, on going out there and taking it to them. Getting in their faces and making it really tough.
The support, as always, has been brilliant recently, both home and away. We will give you something to cheer even louder about tomorrow. So keep the faith and don’t stop believing.
Come on you BLUEBIRDS!
First published at 16:26, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college (1 comment)
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third (4 comments)
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together