Former Barrow man Shaw weighs up options
Last updated at 14:24, Friday, 01 June 2012
FORMER Barrow AFC loan man Jon Shaw is on the look-out for a new club after leaving the Bluebirds’ Blue Square Bet Premier rivals Gateshead.
Shaw – who bagged five goals in 14 games in an impressive three-month loan spell at Holker Street in the 2009/10 season – has turned down the offer of a new two-year-deal with the Tynesiders.
Shaw enjoyed a prolific season for the Heed, bagging 35 goals, including two against Barrow, and he is attracting interest from several clubs, thought to include Luton Town and Hartlepool.
Barrow AFC boss Dave Bayliss – away on holiday at present – will be hopeful the departure of Jack Mackreth is an isolated blow as he looks to build his squad for the 2012/3 campaign. Mackreth, who last week told the Evening Mail he was “99 per cent sure” of penning a fresh deal at Barrow, joined Conference new boys Macclesfield Town in midweek.
It is a big loss for AFC, but at least the club will receive some compensation for the departure of one of their brightest stars, as he is under 23-years-old.
Mackreth was one of nine players offered deals by Bayliss – the others being goalkeepers Danny Hurst and Shaun Pearson; defenders Gavin Skelton and Mike Pearson; midfielders James Owen and Richie Baker; winger Paul Rutherford and striker Andy Cook.
They have all verbally agreed to stay, while forward Adam Boyes is already on a contract for 2012/13.
First published at 13:38, Friday, 01 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|