Defensive cull as Barrow AFC release five
Last updated at 12:43, Saturday, 05 May 2012
BARROW AFC’s back four will have a new look about it next season after five defenders were released last night.
Regular left-back Gavin Skelton and long-term injury victim Mike Pearson were the only defenders to survive the cull.
Club captain and 2010 FA Trophy winner Phil Bolland has been released, and Andy Nicholas, Kelvin Lomax, Cliff Moyo and utility man Paul Smith are also exiting Furness Building Society Stadium.
Bluebirds boss Dave Bayliss, who will be looking for defensive replacements during the summer, is confident several players will agree new deals for the 2012/13 Conference campaign after speaking to the majority of his squad yesterday. Bayliss has offered contracts to goalkeepers Danny Hurst and Shaun Pearson, defenders Skelton and Pearson, midfielders Richie Baker and James Owen, wingmen Jack Mackreth and Paul Rutherford, and striker Andy Cook, with fellow forward Adam Boyes already signed up.
“We’ve offered the lads terms,” said Bayliss.
“We didn’t go into too much detail and we’re giving them time to think about it.
“We have made them good offers. It’s up to them now if they want to accept, or go and take their chances, it’s a meat market out there. But we’ve made them good offers and they all seem happy enough.
“Obviously some of them are over 24 and some are under 24 and the under 24s, if they decide to turn the offer down, we can command a fee for them by a tribunal.”
Bayliss has yet to speak to midfielders Andy Ferrell and Robin Hulbert.
Other members of the 2011/12 Bluebirds squad, such as Danny Hone, Paul Edwards, Joe Jackson and Alex-Ray Harvey were on loan from other clubs.
Former Bluebirds joint-boss Darren Sheridan has been appointed manager of Evo-Stik League First Division North club Salford City.
First published at 10:36, Saturday, 05 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
- Barrow and Dalton among most desirable places to live - poll finds (19 comments)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|