Barrow boss confident cup form can carry into league
Last updated at 16:53, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
DAVE Bayliss is confident his Barrow AFC side can transfer great cup form into their league campaign and start climbing the table.
The Bluebirds face two Blue Square Bet Premier League matches in the space of four days, with tonight’s trip to AFC Telford followed by a Premier Sports-televised clash with Hereford United at Holker Street on Friday.
While fans have the mouth-watering prospect of an FA Cup home game against Cardiff City at the back of their minds if Barrow can beat Macclesfield in next week’s rearranged second round tie, the team’s focus is fixed firmly on improving their lowly league position.
Bayliss’s side lie second from bottom, but such is the congested state of the table, if they can record two victories they should occupy a mid-table position come the weekend.
AFC’s league schedule has been interrupted of late by their involvement in their two major cup competitions.
Of the seven games the Bluebirds played in November, four of them were cup matches – with a 2-2 FA Cup first round draw at Guiseley and 1-1 FA Trophy draw at Hyde, both followed by 1-0 replay wins at Holker Street.
“With us not being in league action, we’ve slipped a bit from where we wanted to be, but the players know the importance of the Telford game,” said Bayliss.
“In the last month or so, I think the performances have been excellent, bar one game at Stockport, and we’ve just got to keep doing what we’re doing and we’re going in the right direction.
“We had a poor start to the season but I’m confident now, from what I’ve seen and the players we’ve got, that we’ll be okay this season.
“Plus, when we get to January the (transfer) window will be open and we know where we need to strengthen. Hopefully we’ll be in a good position by then, a good position in the league and doing well in the cups.”
He added: “It’s a big game and we need to get something from it. We don’t like to put our lads under too much pressure, they know the score with tonight and with Friday. We’ve got some really tasty games coming up. December is a really big month for us and what we’ve got to do is keep doing what we’re doing, keep working hard and I’m sure results will turn for us.
“Hyde beat Woking 7-0 at the weekend and we absolutely destroyed them and should have beat them more than 1-0 and we know we’re not a million miles away. But we keep saying that and the only currency in football is results, we have to start getting results.”
Bayliss has a virtually full-strength squad to choose from aside from Danny Rowe, who is still recovering from a knock but could figure on the bench either tonight, or on Friday against Hereford, while Garry Hunter is one booking away from a ban .
Barrow from: Hurst, S Pearson, Flynn, Skelton, M Pearson, Anderson, Hessey, Byrne, Baker, Harvey, Owen, Rutherford, McConville, Boyes, Almond, Jackson, Hunter, Rowe.
First published at 16:52, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|