Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 07 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow AFC manager celebrates anniversary in style - Bluebirds v Guiselely match report and pics

BARROW AFC manager Dave Bayliss celebrated five years in charge with one of the most important victories of his tenure.

FA Cup first round replay: Barrow AFC 1 Guiseley 0

Goal: Garry Hunter (90+2)

Attendance: 1,402

A stunning stoppage-time strike by Garry Hunter earned the Bluebirds a place in the FA Cup second round, a much-needed £18,000 in prize money and revenge over a Guiseley side who embarrassed them in the FA Trophy in 2010.

For Bayliss, who began his reign as one of three caretaker bosses on November 13, 2007, the joy at Hunter’s dramatic winner was clear for all to see in a season-high Holker Street crowd of 1,402.

Within a second of the ball hitting the back of the net, the Bluebirds boss leapt off the bench and ran down the touchline below the main stand, punching the night air in ecstasy as he went.

It was a rare show of unbridled emotion from Bayliss, whose team will now face Blue Square Bet Premier rivals Macclesfield at home in round two, with the potential of a crack at a Premier League big boy should they get through.

The AFC boss switched to a 4-3-3 formation and made two changes to the side which lost 2-1 at home against Lincoln City on Saturday.

Wingers Paul Rutherford, who was dropped to the bench for the first time this season, and Danny Rowe, who could be sidelined for more than a month with a broken toe, were replaced by midfielder Alex-Ray Harvey and striker Adam Boyes. Midfield terrier James Owen, having overcome a heart scare that kept him out for six weeks, was named among the substitutes.

Barrow started well and almost took the lead on five minutes when, after great work down the left by Louis Almond, an 18-yard shot by midfielder Richie Baker deflected off team-mate Joe Jackson.

The ball looked to be going in until Guiseley keeper Steven Drench – a former Bluebirds triallist – readjusted his direction and made an outstanding save.

To end an evenly-fought opening quarter-hour period the Lions went close with a fierce James Walshaw effort that flashed over the bar.

The Bluebirds, playing at a high tempo but without any real width, then began to crank up the pressure with a series of wind-assisted Hunter long-throws that brought plenty of frantic scrambles inside the Guiseley six-yard box but no shots at goal.

With so much at stake it remained a nervy, scrappy and mistake-ridden affair, summed up on the half-hour by a route-one long ball forward that had Barrow keeper Danny Hurst racing out of his box.

Guiseley striker Kevin Holsgrove won the foot race but, under pressure from the charging Hurst, headed wide.

The rest of the half was edged by the visitors who, despite playing the slightly better football, were unable to create any more chances.

Hunter’s long-throws continued to prove a dangerous weapon for the hosts at the start of the second half. At the other end, Danny Ellis headed wide for the West Yorkshire outfit following a free-kick.

It was, however, the Bluebirds on top, with Almond, Baker, Jackson and Harvey beginning to exert more influence on proceedings. Barrow were almost rewarded on the hour mark but Boyes was closed down at the critical moment, following a well-worked training ground routine free-kick taken by Baker.

Moments later players from both sides clashed on the halfway line, though referee Oliver Langford saw fit to single out only home skipper Mike Pearson for a yellow card.

Then, on 65 minutes, Guiseley got the type of clear-cut chance both teams had craved. It came from a long punt by Drench which sent Walshaw one-on-one with Hurst but the striker dragged his shot well wide.

Instead of sparking the game into life, that chance proved to be the last for a further 20 minutes.

The tedium was finally broken three minutes before the end of normal time when, following a corner from the left, Guiseley substitute Nicky Boshell planted a header against the crossbar after the visitors had forced a series of corners. And that miss was to prove crucial when two minutes into stoppage-time and with people’s minds inevitably turning to extra-time and penalties, Hunter gunned down the battling Tykes with a ferocious winner.

A cross from Sean Hessey was partially cleared and broke to the midfielder on the edge of the box.

The 27-year-old then arrowed an unstoppable shot past former Morecambe team-mate Drench and into the top corner, to spark wild celebrations on the pitch, touchline and terraces.

* Barrow attacking midfielder Sean McConville has signed a further one-month contract extension until December 13th.

Barrow (4-3-3): Danny Hurst; Matt Flynn, Sean Hessey, Tom Aldred, Mike Pearson (captain); Alex-Ray Harvey, Garry Hunter, Richie Baker; Louis Almond (Paul Rutherford 90+4), Joe Jackson, Adam Boyes. Subs not used: Shaun Pearson, Gavin Skelton, Tom Anderson, James Owen, Sean McConville.

Yellow cards: Pearson (61), Boyes (90).

Guiseley (4-2-3-1): Steven Drench; Andy Holdsworth, Rhys Meynell, Danny Ellis, Mark Bower (captain); Jack Rea, Danny Boshell; Wayne Brooksby, Gavin Rothery, James Walshaw (Josh Wilson 85); Kevin Holsgrove (Nicky Boshell 75). Subs not used: Andy Pearson, Jamie Clarke, Zack Dale, Jacob Giles.

Yellow cards: Ellis (90)

See Wednesday's Evening Mail for full report, photos and post-match reaction from goal-hero Hunter and Barrow manager Dave Bayliss

Have your say

If the cup run money hasn't been frittered away then someone please tell me where it has been spent? As I've seen no improvements made since those earnings.

Posted by Horatio on 17 November 2012 at 14:54

come on then Krull,where are you?.

Posted by Ram on 16 November 2012 at 11:47

View all 14 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


Search for:


Has children’s sport benefitted from the ‘Olympic legacy’?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out