Barrow AFC drop out of Lancs Trophy
Last updated at 16:45, Friday, 01 February 2013
BARROW AFC’s fixture pile-up has forced the club to drop out of this year’s Lancashire FA Co-operative Trophy.
The Bluebirds were due to play Marine in a second round tie next Tuesday –but are now in FA Trophy quarter-final action at Gainsborough.
With no free midweek slots until after the scheduled date of the final due to a build-up of rearranged Conference games, AFC had little alternative but to withdraw, and the decision has been approved by the LFA
AFC secretary Russell Dodd said on the club website: “We had a very amicable email discussion at lunchtime on Wednesday once we had progressed to the Trophy quarter-finals.
“The county FA were very supportive of our position of needing to prioritise Conference safety and saw that this could be compromised with Thursday night games in the same week as a Tuesday and Saturday. We thank them for their consideration and co-operation.”
He added: “At the start of the season, Bayles (AFC boss Dave Bayliss) fancied a decent run in the Lancs Trophy with the final being at The Reebok, but cup runs and postponements have made that impossible now.
“We apologise to Marine FC for any inconvenience caused and wish them all the best at AFC Fylde.”
First published at 16:41, Friday, 01 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Major development for Furness Enterprise
- Dolan aims to build on Barrow Raiders start (1 comment)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|