Lakeland churches feature in history talk at Broughton

SHARE THIS STORY
19 September 2017 6:29PM

CHURCHES are usually among the oldest and most substantial buildings in Cumbria villages.

The style of their construction reflects the wealth of communities – or their leading landowner – and are often filled with stained glass and memorials to significant local people.

A talk on Lakeland Churches is being presented by Andy Lowe to the Duddon Valley History Group on Wednesday, September 27.

It starts at 7.30pm in the Ruskin Room at Broughton Victory Hall.

Our pictures and details today feature a few of the churches in the Cartmel Peninsula.

St John the Bpatist at Flookburgh was consecrated in 1900 and replaced an earlier building on Church Walk.

The new church was built by Victor Cavendish of Holker Hall to designs by Lancaster architectural firm Austen and Paley.

St Paul ’s Church, Grange, was consecrated in 1853 – just two years after a public appeal was launched for funds.

St Anne’s Church at Haverthwaite was built in 1826 as a chapel of ease within the parish of Colton.

It has a church organ built by Wilkinsons of Kendal and memorials to men who have died in battle over the past 200 years.

St Peter’s Church at Finsthwaite was built in 1874 to designs by Austen and Paley an won a national award as Best Mountain Chapel.

It has a clock by the firm Potts of Leeds and the only working set of tubular bells in a Cumbrian church.

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know
Featured articles