5,840 new apprenticeships in Cumbria in one year
Last updated at 11:28, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
There were 5,840 new apprenticeships in Cumbria in the 2011-12 academic year, up 10.6 per cent on the previous year, official figures show.
Across the north west, 89,310 people started apprenticeships, a rise of 13.5 per cent, while nationally there was a 13.9 per cent increase.
Government ministers are delighted by what they see as the success of a flagship policy.
Business Secretary Vince Cable said: “Whenever I speak to businesses, a lack of trained workers is a frequent concern. These figures mean we are starting to turn the tide.
“Over half a million people took up an apprenticeship last year, showing that our investment in vocational skills is paying off.”
Government funding is available to help companies take on apprentices through the Apprenticeship Grant for Employers (AGE) scheme.
Businesses can get £1,500 for each new apprentice, aged between 16 and 24, provided that they employ fewer than 1,000 people and have not recruited an apprentice in the past 12 months.
Nearly 20,000 apprenticeship vacancies were advertised in the north west last year, generating almost 180,000 applications.
To find out more about AGE, or to search for a vacancy, visit apprenticeships.org.uk or call 08000 150 600.
First published at 11:24, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together