5,840 new apprenticeships in Cumbria in one year
Last updated at 11:28, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
There were 5,840 new apprenticeships in Cumbria in the 2011-12 academic year, up 10.6 per cent on the previous year, official figures show.
Across the north west, 89,310 people started apprenticeships, a rise of 13.5 per cent, while nationally there was a 13.9 per cent increase.
Government ministers are delighted by what they see as the success of a flagship policy.
Business Secretary Vince Cable said: “Whenever I speak to businesses, a lack of trained workers is a frequent concern. These figures mean we are starting to turn the tide.
“Over half a million people took up an apprenticeship last year, showing that our investment in vocational skills is paying off.”
Government funding is available to help companies take on apprentices through the Apprenticeship Grant for Employers (AGE) scheme.
Businesses can get £1,500 for each new apprentice, aged between 16 and 24, provided that they employ fewer than 1,000 people and have not recruited an apprentice in the past 12 months.
Nearly 20,000 apprenticeship vacancies were advertised in the north west last year, generating almost 180,000 applications.
To find out more about AGE, or to search for a vacancy, visit apprenticeships.org.uk or call 08000 150 600.
First published at 11:24, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|