5,840 new apprenticeships in Cumbria in one year
Last updated at 11:28, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
There were 5,840 new apprenticeships in Cumbria in the 2011-12 academic year, up 10.6 per cent on the previous year, official figures show.
Across the north west, 89,310 people started apprenticeships, a rise of 13.5 per cent, while nationally there was a 13.9 per cent increase.
Government ministers are delighted by what they see as the success of a flagship policy.
Business Secretary Vince Cable said: “Whenever I speak to businesses, a lack of trained workers is a frequent concern. These figures mean we are starting to turn the tide.
“Over half a million people took up an apprenticeship last year, showing that our investment in vocational skills is paying off.”
Government funding is available to help companies take on apprentices through the Apprenticeship Grant for Employers (AGE) scheme.
Businesses can get £1,500 for each new apprentice, aged between 16 and 24, provided that they employ fewer than 1,000 people and have not recruited an apprentice in the past 12 months.
Nearly 20,000 apprenticeship vacancies were advertised in the north west last year, generating almost 180,000 applications.
To find out more about AGE, or to search for a vacancy, visit apprenticeships.org.uk or call 08000 150 600.
First published at 11:24, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Edmo 'not interested' in leaving Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|