New Manchester university centre to study nuclear waste storage
Last updated at 15:25, Tuesday, 20 November 2012
A £1.2 million centre to research the decontamination and safe storage of nuclear waste is being established at the University of Manchester in partnership with Sellafield Ltd.
The aim is to complement research at Manchester’s Dalton Nuclear Institute.
The new centre will also, the university says, build on research programmes at its Centre for Radiochemistry Research and the Research Centre for Radwaste and Decommissioning.
Its remit is to develop new technologies, enhance understanding of key nuclear technologies and develop effective and sustainable decontamination approaches.
Dr Nick Bryan, of Manchester University’s School of Chemistry, said: “The new centre is an opportunity for the university to enhance its nuclear research and to strengthen its links with a vital part of the nuclear industry.
“It will form part of the Dalton Nuclear Institute, which was established to foster collaboration across conventional discipline boundaries to allow interdisciplinary approaches to nuclear research challenges.”
Over the next few years, 10 PhD students will be recruited.
First published at 11:21, Tuesday, 20 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|